May 22, 2013

LOVE STORY OR LUST STORY?

The way in which the world has presented "love stories" to us has changed since I was a little girl. The media's view has changed, but should we change with it?

As a pre-teen, Zach Morris and Kelly Kapowsi was the love story I daydreamed about. I look back at the innocence of that show and I am blown away. The furthest anyone got was a kiss on the lips which was always followed by a "ooOoo" from the audience. As young as middle school, I realized people in relationships were doing a heck of a lot more than just kissing on the lips. All of sudden, I felt this must be what I needed to be doing too. I mean, I wanted guys to like me, right?

STOP! This is where so many girls make mistakes; myself included! We forget we can raise the bar! If you have high standards and respect yourself, the guy interested in you is going to quickly realize he must live up to those standards and respect you. I believe Fulton Sheen said it best,
"To a great extent the level of any civilization is the level of its womanhood. When a man loves a woman, he has to become worthy of her. The higher her virtue, the more her character, the more devoted she is to truth, justice, goodness, the more a man has to aspire to be worthy of her. The history of civilization could actually be written in terms of the level of its women."
Sadly, so many women give into the fear that they will be alone unless they lower their standards and give in physically. Today's love stories portrayed on television and movies, should really be called "lust stories." How did "Save by the Bell" and "Hey, Dude" get replaced with "Gossip Girl" and "Vampire Dairies" These shows just continue to normalize "hooking-up." Rarely do they show physical repercussions (i.e. STD's, pregnancy, etc.), and I feel like they NEVER show the emotional repercussions.

God created sex, and it is a beautiful thing. It was created for a man and a woman who made the vows of Holy Matrimony and are committed to one another for life. Sex taken outside of this context, can lead to much heart ache, depression, and disappointment.

If you are in a relationship, see if you and your boyfriend pass the "love story OR lust story" test. I found the information below from a great book called, "Theology of the Body for Teens."


| LOVE VS. LUST |
  • Love gives to the other.
  • Lust uses the other.
  • Love treats another person like a person.
  • Lust treats another person like an object.
  • Love cannot exist apart from its source, God.
  • Lust is a sexual desire apart from the love of God.
  • Love is honest and life-giving to all persons involved.
  • Lust is devious and ultimately destructive to all persons involved.
  • Love seeks to do what is best for the other.
  • Lust seeks to please the self.
Holding out for your love story is sooo worth it. Sure, "lust stories" are easy to come by, but you were made for more! Women's heart are seeking true love, not to be used for a man's pleasure. If you are in a lust story, get out! So much more awaits you! Hollywood can have their "lust stories," God has YOUR love story. You may have to be really patient, but TRUST ME, it is worth the wait! I waited 5 single years for mine, and I would wait 5 more in a heartbeat if I needed to

No comments:

Post a Comment